I like pieces of this episode; not the whole thing.
Dany confronts Varys about his actions against her in the past and presses him for who’s side he’s on. He says he’s always on the side of the people and she can have Grey Worm assassinate him or she could have him fed to Dragons, however he says she’s the best choice at the moment for leading the people. He only changes sides when the actions of the leader who is around at the time are called into question. Dany makes him swear allegiance to her and to let her know when her actions are called into question to her face and he agrees. She says she will roast him alive if he doesn’t, which he fully expects.
Mel shows up and they debate through Missandei the meaning of Azhor(a) Hai it is the prince (or princess) promised who shall bring the dawn. (SEE: The Unknown.) She mentions Dany should meet Jon Snow and Tyrion vouches for Jon. She leaves it to Jon to fill Dany in about all that has happened to him.
Dany orders Tyrion to summon Jon and bend the knee to her.
Jon and Sansa receive Dany’s raven (however Tyrion omits the bending of the knee part and mentions she has three dragons and asks him to come to Dragonstone to discuss an alliance.)
Cersei calls her bannerman; including Randall and Dickon Tarly. She tries to convince them to take up arms with her because the Dothraki (who work for Dany) will rape, pillage and plunder the countryside.
Jaime tries to convince Lord Tarly to fight with them afterwards and try to pin his allegiance. Randall appears reluctant however he’s leaning towards Lady Olenna’s side (Dany.)
Archmaester Ebrose and Samwell examine Ser Jorah and see that the greyscale has progressed and Ser Jorah should have cut off his arm when first contracted. He tells Ser Jorah, there’s nothing they can do for him now and that since he’s a knight he can stay one more *night* and then has to go live the rest of his life with the Stone men
out in Old Valyria.
Qyburn shows Cersei a huge crossbow that he has had made that can allegedly kill dragons in the bowels of the Red Keep. (See: The Unknown.)
Dany, Lady Olenna, Ellaria Sand and Yara plot their battle plans (withe aid of Tyrion); against Cersei. (See: The Good.) Greyworm and the Unsullied are to attack Casterly Rock while Yara and Ellaria sail to Dorne to pick up her army and then along with the Tyrells they lay siege on Cersei at King’s Landing. It’s agreed that if they attacked the people might side with Cersei rather than them.
Lady Olenna pulls Dany aside to tell her that Tyrion is clever, however she should ignore him and be a Dragon. (See: The Unknown.)
Missandei and Grey Wormy have some intimate moments. It appears they were able to work around Greyworm’s limitations.
Samwell and Archmeister Ebrose discuss a procedure to cure greyscale that was proposed by a Maester that died from Greyscale. The Archmaester forbids it.
Jorah writes to Khalesi (not sure what is in the letter.)(See: the Unknown.)
Samwell helps Ser Jorah cure his greyscale with a painfully gross procedure after telling Ser Jorah how he saw his father die up in the North fighting for him. (See: the Unknown.)
Arya meets Hotpie in the Riverlands who informs her that Jon is King of the North now. She decides to head North to Winterfell instead of going after Cersei directly.
Jon gets a raven from Samwell telling him that Dragonstone has a huge mountain of Dragonglass. Ser Davos points out dragon fire can kill Wights.
Jon assembles his banner men to reveal the two raven messages and debate whether he should go or not. Most the ladies and lords are against; including Sansa because of how the mad king treated his grandfather and uncle. Jon leaves Sansa in charge and says he and Ser Davos will go meet her.
Jon chokes Little Finger in the crypts (after he visits his father’s crypt; I suppose for guidance) especially after he professes his love for Caitlyn and then Sansa.
Arya meets Nymeria and after their encounter; she’s not able to persuade Nymeria to go up North with her and concludes that that is not who Nymeria is; she’s a wild Direwolf. Perhaps Arya
sees herself like Nymeria? She did tell Ned back in the first couple of Seasons that she was not a princess or Lady type; that she wanted to be a fighter. This may have an effect on what her next steps are. (See: the Unknown)
Sand snakes argue about who they each get to kill (stupid scene).
Yara gets it on with Ellaria while Theon pours the wine. Euron crashes their boat party.
Euron captures Yara. Two of sand snakes get killed and Ellaria and the remaining sand snake are taken prisoner; presumably to give up to Cersei as an offering. Theon turns coward and jumps off his ship; leaving Yara in Euron’s hands (Reek is still around apparently.)
* Yay Hotpie and Nymeria! I loved how they used Nymeria to show, how Arya is sticking to her true nature. She’s an assassin and I would be surprised if she continued to go up to Winterfell. She will probably head back on her mission to kill Cersei.
* I thought it was great that Jon didn’t trust Little Finger. Perhaps Jon knows that Little Finger left Sansa to Roose Bolton and Ramsay which is what probably caused him to Choke Little Finger. It brought me back to Ned nearly choking little finger in front of his brothel in Season 2.
* I loved the battle plotting scene with Dany, Lady Olenna, Ellaria Sand and Yara; against Cersei.
It’s a rarity I think to see a council of women (in a show or movie) plot a battle; going through possibly scenarios; against a common enemy who is also a woman. It clearly marks the changes in leadership in this world.
* The Sand Snakes arguing over who gets to kill who. I thought this was stupid scene that served no purpose and I hated their laughter. It was good to see them finally die in the war with Euron; finally! I personally have hated the Dornish plot line the entire length of the show.
* I didn’t like the battle with Euron, Yara, Theon and the Sand snakes. There was too much going on with folks being killed that I didn’t even know so it lost impact for me and just was distracting. It seems like Dorne is about great wine; lots of sex and ego tripping over killing enemies.
* Why doesn’t Tyrion tell Jon to bend the knee?
* Is Dany Azhor(a) Hai?
* Which side is Randall Tarly on? Will Jaime’s pressure force him to side with Cersei over the Tyrells? You would think Cersei incinerating Mace, Marjorie and Loras would have made that decision for him. However, it’s not clear to me.
* Can the crossbow be maneuvered easy enough to get off a shot at one of the dragons?
* Will the Northerners respect Sansa?
* Will Jon be successful? Will he bend the knee to Dany?
* Will Arya turn around and go after Cersei instead of making her way back to Winterfell?
* Will Jon and Ser Davos kill Mel if they see her at Dragonstone?
* Will Dany listen to Lady Olenna? What will she unleash with her inner dragon?
* What is in the letter to Dany that Ser Jorah has penned?
* Does Lady Olenna really have Dany’s best interest at heart or is she just trying to get Dany to act like a Targaryen so that later on she can swoop for a victory war over whoever is left?
* Will Ser Jorah be cured of his greyscale?
Game of Thrones Threads at the TV Critic: